The minimum documents and information for filing a patent application in Colombia are the following:
- Applicant’s name and domicile
- Inventor’s name and domicile
- Filing number and filing date of the earlier patent application which priority is claimed under the Paris Convention or the PCT Treaty.
- Description, claims, summary and drawings of the invention in the Spanish language.
- Payment of the official fees
In a further stage, the applicant will be required to file in order to complete the application in Colombia, the following documents and information:
- A Power of Attorney, in case that the application is submitted by an Attorney.
- A document by which the inventor assigns the right over the invention to the applicant, in case that the applicant is different to the inventor.
- The priority document if the priority had been claimed under Paris Convention.
- If the patent application refers to a sequence of nucleotides or amino acids, the sequence listing in digital form is required.
- If the patent application refers to biological material, and the invention cannot be fully described to be understood and carried out by a skilled person in the art, a certificate of deposit of the biological material is required.
- If the invention was obtained or developed on the basis of genetic resources and their derivatives a contract access to genetic resources is required.
- If the invention was obtained or developed on the basis of traditional knowledge belonging to indigenous, Afro-American or local communities, the authorization for use of the traditional knowledge is required.